Enjoy in a personalized backstrap weaving workshop with the local women's cooperative. In this 6-8 hour class, you'll learn about the traditional techniques of backstrap weaving, the use of natural dyes, and spinning threads. At the end of the day, you'll get to leave with your finished piece!
- Visit a local women's cooperative or home of one of the weavers for the workshop
- Learn about traditional ways of spinning thread and use of natural dyes.
- Explore a new culture and get a chance to practice your Spanish as you get to know your workshop instructors!
- Includes a private class in spanish from 6 to 8 hours distributed in two periods, materials and final piece.
- The backstrap loom has an additional cost of $5 if you want to take it with you
Know before you book
- Bring comfortable clothes, cash to cover personal expenses and a refillable water bottle.
Duration & Schedule Full Day, starts at 9AM
Location San Juan la Laguna, Lake Atitlán
Style Cultural & Community experience
Languague Spanish, translator upon request.
Getting there Take a boat ride from Panajachel to the public dock in San Juan la Laguna and a representative of the cooperative will meet you.
Availability Available all year long, please specify below the date for which you are booking.